When you are ready to move your belongings into a Maple Leaf Storage unit, we want to ensure your move goes as smoothly as possible. Here is a self storage checklist including a few things you need to remember before you rent, and on the day you bring your belongings in.
Things to do before you rent:
The goods you place in the self storage units and the vehicles that your store at the facility are the responsibility of you, the owner. Goods and vehicles are not insured by our facilities. Check with your insurance agent whether your policy extends to property stored outside your home. If you do not have an insurance agent, we can provide you with the names of several who handle self storage insurance.
Common sense and government laws determine what may be stored in self storage facilities. Please read the following self storage checklist to ensure that you, your belongings and your fellow customers are safe at all times. If you have any questions, our specialists will be happy to help. As a rule, never store any of the following:
- Firearms, explosives, weapons or ammunition.
- Hazardous, toxic or radioactive goods, biological agents and flammable materials and liquids. These present a serious danger to the facility, its personnel, other customers and your goods.
- Gas canisters (e.g. for barbeques or recreational vehicle use) and aerosol cans.
- Pollutants, contaminated goods, asbestos or other materials of a potentially dangerous nature.
- Cash or securities, coins, precious stones, jewelry, antiques or fine art unless specifically agreed with us in writing, in advance of storing such goods in the unit.
- Illegal substances, illegal items or goods illegally obtained.
- Birds, fish, animals or any other living creature.
- Food or perishable goods. Dry foods (like rice, flour, pet food etc.).
- Scented candles or ornaments made of edible ingredients (e.g. popcorn strings, cookie or play-dough ornaments).
- Waste or other items which do or could emit any fumes, smell or odour.
Please ensure that the fuel tanks of any items that require fuel (e.g. generators, lawnmowers) are fully drained.
Stoves, barbeques and other cooking appliances should be thoroughly cleaned so as not to attract pests. Refrigeration equipment should be defrosted and dry, and the door left open to allow air circulation and to prevent mould.
Preparing to move in
Prior to moving into Maple Leaf Self Storage, we will need you to complete the rental documents. On this day, please bring the following with you:
- Two pieces of government-issued identification (one with a clear photo), such as a passport, driver’s licence or birth certificate.
- Your personal contact details, including an email address if available.
- Alternate contact information of a family member or friend who does not live with you.
- Your first payment – we accept cash, debit cards and all major credit cards.
- A quality keyed padlock. If you don’t have one, do not worry. We have a very good selection of high quality, reasonably priced locks available for purchase in our store.
To complete rental documents, please arrive at least 45 minutes prior to the store’s closing.
When you move your belongings in
Here are a few guidelines for keeping your unit in good condition:
- Do not attach anything to the walls of your unit.
- Protect the floor of your unit with a drop cloth or tarp.
- Use standard sized file boxes or cartons when stacking items.
If you have any questions regarding our self storage checklist, please contact one of our representatives and we will gladly assist you.